Pages

Thursday 3 November 2011

Clogging and Blogging!

Hiya, here's another quick update on whats happening with me and my cancer battle... I should really say OUR cancer battle as it effects the whole family. 

Yaay, Ive survived 6 months of chemotherapy! Insert flagrant happy dancing.  I dont mean that sarcastically, cos the chinese lady next to me at chemo had liver complications from the drugs and died.  So I really mean yaay and woohoo, so glad to be finished.  Dont think my body could have handled much more so it was a good time to finish.  Not tied to the hospital for a while and feeling great (calling all social invitations!) and no more picc line for summer.  I can have a bath without looking like Im trying to flag down a lifesaver!  Thanks Mum for looking after us all.  We miss you, but I bet you dont miss the housework. 

I have another scan next week, then see 'Dr Womens Bits' and he will book me in to have my ovary removed - or a full hysterectomy, wont know until he goes in.  The surgery should be in 2-3 weeks.   Im not fussed as I dont need those bits any more.  And after the last surgery, this one should be a walk in the park (touch wood, I dont want to jinx myself!).

I am going to change Dr Head Oncs name to Dr Doom - he is not very positive.  Great hair, but that doesnt make up for the stuff that comes out his mouth! He has given me a use by date which I choose to ignore and not to share - I dont want y'all doing a count down and ringing me up to see if Im still clogging around that time!!  He said he's in two minds about whether to take me off all medication and just see how I go (duh, the tumours will grow again) which sent me for a six.  It will depend on my catscan and pathology results - if they can operate on my liver he will keep me on meds but considers this to be unlikely.  When I told my naturopath, she said his words were unnecessary and cruel - and I agree.  I will try and use them to inspire me to prove him wrong.   If I cant be cured then I can be treated as having a long term chronic disease and I would be happy with that. 

If he decides to take me off them I will find another Dr, as I dont consider that an option  In the meantime Ive contacted St Vincents Hospital in Melbourne to see if Im eligible for the same trial that Jim Stynes is on.  Its a drug that boosts the immune system which is a new way of treating cancer.  Instead of the chemo approach where they aim to knock out the cancer cells, this treatment boosts the Tcells and lymphocytes to ramp up the bodies own immune system so they can take out the little buggers.  Its the approach Im taking with the naturopath, trying to support my immune system.  Will be interesting to see what they say. 

So thats it for now.  In the meantime life goes on - lots of birthday parties this month, Andrew is growing a mo for Movember, the weather is warming up and the kids are growing like weeds.  Enjoy the nice weather! Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment