Pages

Friday 3 June 2011

Introducing Doris....

Hiiya, well I thought it was too good to last - my second session of chemo was two days ago and Im really feeling it.  Nausea and fatigue are not much fun.  So Im officially back on the bottle until later this arvo when I go back in to get 'unhooked' from the chemo pump.  Its a bit disappointing because I was so good last week, but to be expected I guess.  Thank goodness for Mum and Andrew (hubby), both have been working extremely hard during a difficult time. Sometimes I think its easier for me than for them.  Im still losing hair but havent had to bring out my wig yet... we have christened her 'Doris' because she's a bit more Doris Day than Farrah Fawcett as was the original suggestion.  Plus the real Doris is still kicking on and Ms Fawcett's tap got turned off a bit early so thought I'd stick with the more positive name.  I just hope all this chemo is doing its thing and 'lumpatron' is majorly shrinking. 

My chemo is Folfox with Avastin which takes about 5.5 hours to run through the drip.  My blood results came back and liver function and white cell counts are all within normal ranges, but my red blood cells are 'in my boots' and Im very anaemic according to the Dr.  Apparently colon cancer is notorious for slowly bleeding and leaching out all haemoglobin, so my red cell count would have been very low for quite some time.  I thought I was just tired because Im a working mum!  A blood transfusion would fix it temporarily, but an iron transfusion lasts for a month so Im having that done on Monday.  Yet another full day on the drip, but  hopefully it will be the pick-me-up that I need.  I felt so good last week that Im sure this will have me swinging from the chandeliers in no time. 

My good friend Nicole (organiser of the famous Lollipop Markets http://www.lollipopmarkets.com.au/) has organised an facebook auction to help raise funds for my sir sphere treatment.  I didnt get into the trial because of the ovarian cancer but I can still have the treatment if I pay for it.  Here is the address for the auction:  http://www.facebook.com.au/ellabellaprint.  It starts on June 24th so check it out!  It is very overwhelming to have so much support, especially from strangers.  So now I have two awesome Nicole's helping me out!  The other Nicole is arranging a quiz night - she runs http://www.paintnaturally.com.au/ so pop in to see her on Unley Road if you need decorating advice - her range of Florence Broadhurst is amazing and Im sure I don't need to sell you on the benefits of chemical free paint.

Anyway, nothing much else to report this fortnight - hope to be feeling much better and full of energy next week after my transfusion!

ps Andrew has invented 'vertical planking' - its hilarious, but he wont let me take a photo of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment